The FSIHS Research Center investigates botanical products, dietary ingredients, nutraceuticals, and dietary supplements for safety and efficacy. As one of the nation's leading clinical research sites for natural product evaluation, our team conducts clinical research for some of the world's leaders in preventive and integrative health.
- Scientific Experience – our team includes leaders in various health fields, including scientific research, nutrition, nursing practice, and public health
- Integrative Health – we are the only research firm to ensure that every researcher on our team is also fully trained in herbalism, aromatherapy, and/or other integrative health modalities
- Collaborative – Our team collaborates with medical facilities, health experts, and data scientists across the nation and around the globe to ensure your project has a custom solution that fits your needs
Dr. Jessie Hawkins is the Director of Research; she brings close to 20 years of experience in the integrative health industry. She is widely published in this area and is speaks at national and international integrative health conferences.
The FSIHS Center for Research is uniquely able to offer expertise in clinical research and integrative health. Our team of researchers are fully trained integrative health professionals, ensuring your product is analyzed appropriately.
The standard for claims substantiation continues to rise. As consumers and regulatory agencies increase their demands, the companies who invest in human research are those which will have the competitive edge.
Jessie Hawkins, PhD
Founder & Research Director
Dr. Hawkins has been an integrative health professional for nearly 20 years and has written 8 popular books on natural health topics. She is the Director of both the school and the research team, and in addition to teaching our research classes, she travels the globe to present on our research.
• Certificates and Diplomas in: aromatherapy, aromatic medicine, herbalism, childbirth education, and labor support
• Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Health from Union Institute and University
• Master’s Degree in Health Education & Promotion from the University of Alabama
• PGCert in Epidemiology from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
• PhD in Health Research from Middle Tennessee State University
• (Current) Global Clinical Scholars Research Training post-doctoral program at Harvard Medical School
Christy Hires, MPH, CHES
Research Lead: Botanical Products
Christy Hires leads aromatherapy education and research at FSIHS. She teaches advanced and onsite students, as well as teaching during our study tours in Europe. She also manages a busy aromatherapy practice in Colorado and volunteers as a NAHA regional director.
• Certificates and Diplomas in aromatherapy, herbalism, and aromatic medicine
• Bachelor’s Degree in Theology
• Masters in Public Health (MPH) from the University of Alabama
Elizabeth Dunne, MS, RDN
Research Lead: Nutraceuticals
• Certificate in Clinical Herbalism
• Bachelor’s Degree in Food and Nutrition from the University of Alabama
• Master’s Degree in Nutrition Science from the University of Alabama-Birmingham.
Laura Debiasi, DNP, MPH, FNP-C, CNE
Dr. Debiasi holds licenses as a Registered Nurse and as a Family Nurse Practitioner. Her research publications include an emphasis on holistic health, ranging from projects to screen tools for assessing emotional wellbeing among children in Honduras orphanages to nutraceutical supplementation to support liver health.
Education–All from the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB):
• Bachelor’s Degree in Biomedical Engineering
• Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing
• Master’s in Public Health
• Master’s in Family Nursing Practice
• Doctorate of Nursing Practice